Tuesday, December 1, 2009

How the 12 Steps Actually Work, and Why

The 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous work by weakening the egoic, mind-made identity, therefore allowing the true self--consciousness or awareness--to be. Since the compulsion to take the first drink is a manifest part of the false self, the elimination of this compulsion is a direct result of the new conscious awareness.

After surrender, the dissolving of the false self is accomplished by systematically weakening the egoic mind by shining the light of consciousness upon it (steps 1-3) and by honestly examining its falseness and the actions that result from living according to this false mind based identity (steps 4-9).

This process must be continued through life (steps 10-12) because the egoic self – and therefore the potential compulsion to drink--is still present to some extent even in the spiritually awakened.

Sobriety is actually an incidental side effect of the twelve step program. Step 12 declares, "Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps...". This I interpret as nothing less than the promise of enlightenment. The promises following step 9 describe the enlightened state of existence that is the ultimate reward of the 12-step journey.

3 comments:

  1. that's what i was gonna say

    ReplyDelete
  2. Society doesn't realize yet the dangers of incessant thought, whenever I try to explain this to people I'm close to they don't really understand or they take the mickey out of us. Thought and the feelings they produce create addictions and the only way out is by not identifying with these thoughts and feelings. I have found that allowing the diminishment of the ego has helped with my demons I also feel a peace and serenity with the practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am relieved to hear this above blog. I am just starting IOP, and this gives me the quick 12 step tangible meaning. You are correct about trying to explain this to others. My mom is a severe alcoholic and had surmised that the 12 steps do not work. If I was to even say it this way she would think I was probably "over analyzing again."

      Delete